Monday, April 12, 2010

If not Stanford football...

then maybe Jake has a future in Ultimate Fighting or some other martial art. Or maybe just hockey. It was very rainy this weekend so we were doing our running around indoors (mostly. There were a few minutes of jumping in puddles outside). Jake was having a great time running in from the front room at top speed and tackling me. I used to prented to let him knock me over. It's not so much pretend any more. One of the times he got me, he head butted me right on the bridge of my nose. I actually heard soemthing go "crunch." It's not broken (yet) and not much bleeding, but I was hit badly enough to make my eyes water and have to get ice (or frozen corn, as the case may be). I had thought it might turn into a shiner, but it looks like just a big bruise is developing right across the bridge of my nose. Thanks, kid. Now I have to tell people Steve beats me just so I don't have to live with the stigma of being beaten up by a 2.5 year old. And, of course, Jake started crying. It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for the bat when you're the ball. Sorry, Hon. Not my most empathetic maternal moment.
So the latest thing Jake is doing is making up random words. He will be playing and just jabbering away. Almost like a cross between words and sound effects. Hmm... I wonder what goes on in that brain of his!? He is also starting to randomly break into song. This is less troubling since his father and I both do that too, so it's easier to see where he gets it.
We went to Ama's house this weekend. She's away on a trip and Jake missed her. Of course, he still got a cookie right when we got there, so that took the sting out. However, he didn't want to leave and now wants to go on a trip. I imagine we will, but probably not to Europe like Ama just yet. When she called on Sunday morning he insisted on talking to her. Not sure what that will cost, but she assured me it was worth it. He is getting much better about having a phone conversation (more talking, less nodding) and is more coherent and understandable. It was really sweet.
All I can say is no one's throwing up. The dogs are still alive (a seeming miracle some days) and all is right with the world. That's all I could ask for an I'm grateful!

No comments: