Monday, May 10, 2010

Every day is Mothers’ Day

We had a lovely Mothers’ Day! I was awakened at 5:50 a.m. (good, by Jake standards) by a gentle tapping. My darling son climbed into bed with us, which is really rare, and Kiba joined. I had Jake cuddled in front of me, Kiba wiggling for pets behind, and Steve behind her. My baby wished me “Happy Mothers’ Day, Mommy.” Doesn’t get better than that! Our picnic was rained on, the Nut Tree closed just as Jake wanted to ride the train and the carousel (so he SAW them running, but didn’t get to ride – horrible timing!), and he didn’t get a good nap, but he was a super trooper all day and not ONE real melt-down. What a big boy he’s getting to be! Speaking of which, while we were at the carousel I stood him next to the “You Must Be This Tall To Ride Alone” sign and he measured 37.5” tall!! That means he’s grown 1” since March 28th! WOW! OK, now I get why all of his pants are suddenly floods!

We had been wondering why he was starting to include some “gibberish” words in his conversation. He used one at Ama’s Saturday night and I asked him what it meant. He replied that it was something “Eddie says.” Eddie is one of the boys in his class that was raised in a Chinese speaking home. He has very little English and the teachers have picked up a few words in Chinese to communicate. Apparently, so has my boy! He couldn’t tell me what it meant, but the fact that he’s picking some of it up amazes me!

Jake got his first skinned knee that was “Band Aid worthy” this weekend. It’s amazing to me that it’s taken this long! He’s constantly climbing things, jumping off of things, and running but this is the first one that’s bled. He was very brave (not really, but we told him he was) and got his spray of Neosporin and a bandage. It’s either a testimony to how cautious he is, not doing things he can’t handle, or how coordinated he is. I’m not sure which.

Last weekend we got Jake a kite (with a train on it!), which he loves flying at the park with Daddy. He has also gotten to be quite the baseball player – at least when it comes to batting. I showed him how to keep his eye on the ball and he now SMACKS it across the yard. And I have the bruise on my stomach to prove it! It’s amazing to me that this was my 3d Mothers’ Day and that I MADE the little baby who is turning into a little boy right before my eyes. You really are my sunshine, Sweetie, and the best Mothers’ Day present ever.

1 comment:

Robin said...

If he really is repeating the Chinese words and not just an English accent equivalent of what he thinks is being said, that's great! This is the age where he learns all the different sounds he'll ever be able to make. Really cool to have his ear and tongue trained like that. {: >